To enhance the God-given potential in each student through quality Christian education so they may be servants of Jesus Christ in the world.
To be a global innovator of exceptional Christian education and experiences.
Statement of Faith
Our Statement of Faith at Grace Academy integrates Biblical principles into daily lessons. We hold our students to a certain standard of behavior during school-sponsored programs.
- The Bible is the complete, inerrant, inspired Word of God.
- God exists in an eternal trinity as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God who was born of a virgin; lived a sinless and perfect life; died as a substitute to pay for the sins of the world; bodily arose from the grave on the third day; ascended to heaven; and makes intercession for believers today.
- People are sinful and separated from God and must trust in Jesus as Savior for the forgiveness of their sins to receive the gift of eternal life.
- The Holy Spirit renews a believer’s heart and mind, making him/her a new creation, and enables him/her to live the Christian life.
- Believers are called to live holy lives in service to God out of gratitude for what God has done for them.
- The Church as the body of Christ includes true believers from all races, languages and continents.
- Believers look forward to the Lord Jesus Christ to return again to the earth to resurrect the saints, judge the world and reign on the earth.
- Satan, the Devil, is a real being who tempts and encourages rebellion against God.
- All who reject God will be confined to an eternal place of fire and torment, and all who have trusted Jesus as Savior will live with God eternally.
Beginning with only five students, Mary Michael, a public school teacher of many years, began Grace Academy on November 28, 1976. With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, she was passionate about offering students a well-rounded Christian education. Mrs. Michael was so resolute to refine the definition of “Christian education” that she first hosted Grace Academy in her own home. Shortly after, Mrs. Michael moved the school and students into the old Downsville school building in December of 1976.
Growing to about 45 students in just five years, Grace Academy moved to the Hagerstown Bible Church from 1981-1983. Outgrowing the church, Grace Academy moved once again to a building on Locust Street in Hagerstown, where the school continued to grow. In 1986, Grace Academy began to compete in athletics with just a softball team for high school girls and a junior high soccer team for grades seven and eight.
In 2001, Grace Academy transitioned to a brand new building planted on a beautiful 33-acre plot located on Cearfoss Pike, where the school currently thrives. The new facility includes 25 classrooms; a science lab; a computer lab; a gymnasium; a playground; and three outdoor athletic fields.
In 2009, the school introduced its International Student Program and welcomed five students from South Korea. Since then, the international program has grown to include more than 40 overseas students hosted by about 30 generous families each year.
Today, our student body numbers more than 330 annually, with the average graduating class of 26 students. We also have 11 athletic teams, with our 6 varsity teams winning 26 Mason Dixon Christian Conference (MDCC) championships and five Maryland Christian School Tournament (MCST) state championships combined.
Each year since our beginning has been a year of growth, and with God’s provision and guidance, we will continue to grow young Christian leaders for His glory.